Saturday, December 20, 2008






Okay, let's try this again. I've got a much better internet connection today, so I'm going to try uploading some photos. If I'm lucky, my internet connection will improve somewhat in the longterm. I scaled the T-wall barrier next to our trailer the other day, took down out internet transceiver, tweaked it a little bit, taped it with duct tape to a broomstick handle, scaled back up the T-wall, on top of the trailer, lept over to a different T-wall and strapped the transceiver down so it's facing what I think is the "right" direction. Since then, our internet speed hasn't gone up much, but we don't lose a signal nearly as often as we used too. I'm not sure why, but the photos are showing up in the reverse order that I uploaded them, so you may have to play a little bit of a game of figuring out which description goes with each photo.

This first one is from our training in Kuwait that I talked about below (I'm the last guy - in about two seconds I start shooting at targets).
The other photo is me with my ride in Kuwait. To give you some idea of how solid this thing is, the door I have there weighs more than me. They're on good hinges, but you definitely feel the heft everytime you get in or out. I was pretty much a backseat rider in Kuwait, which was fine with me. I had spent plenty of time as a Vehicle Commander, Gunner, and Driver during the weeks of training in South Carolina (see the photo of me driving the Humvee - you'll notice that I'm wearing a ski-mask like hood if you look closely - it was about 20 degrees outside and with the gunner's hatch open, the heater only does you so much good).
Okay, my internet connection is coming and going here a little bit, but I'll try a couple of other pics of me in South Carolina and Kuwait. These last two are of me eating my primary food source there (MREs) and catching some free time. It's been kind of nice. I think I've read more novels in the last two months than I have in the last three or four years.

No comments: