Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First of many trips to the E.R.

Cade is such an active and busy child, that Eric and I have joked for awhile that he would be our first trip to the E.R. Now, Ethan has fallen and had some cuts that probably should have gotten stitches, but being the nurse that I am, I just have glued them shut and then slapped some steri--strips on them and everything was fine. Well, last week Cade was playing in a little bassinet Kailey has for her babies and went to get out and fell and smacked his chin on our hardwood floors. There was blood everywhere and one look at his cut and I knew we had to go to the E.R.--it was really deep and split wide open.
Luckily my friend was here, so she stayed with the other two kids and Cade and I headed to the hospital. Cade was tough and had stopped crying shortly after he hurt himself. At the E.R. I was lucky enough that we could just walk in. The corpsman came over and flushed out his cut--Cade wasn't too happy about that.
Then the doctor came over and we were lucky enough that the doctor in the E.R. that day is a good friend of ours. In fact, his daughter is Cade's girlfriend and he also joked that he wasn't surprised at all to see Cade. Anyways, he took one look and said that we would need stitches.

We had to wrap Cade in a sheet like a hotdog, from about his neck to his calves and then I held down his feet and two corpsman held down his torso and head while Steve, the doctor, stitched up Cade. Cade was not happy and was screaming and but we finally got 4 stitches in. The cut probably could have used a couple of more, but it was a lot of work to get those 4 stitches in.
Here he is after we were done. That bandage on his chin lasted all of 5 minutes and I tried to put about 4 more dressings on, but Cade would pull them off in seconds.

The next day, I laid Cade down for a nap and about 10 minutes later I heard a loud crash and walked into his room and he had climbed out of his crib and on top of his dresser, which is like 4 feet tall, and was standing on it and throwing stuff off of it. I have a feeling we have many, many more E.R. trips in our future, hopefully not the too near future!!

2 comments:

Adam and Tara said...

I hope my comment isn't taken as heartless but I had to laugh at your photos! He has such great facial expressions!! We wish we lived closer to give him a hug but not close enough that he could teach Rhea all of those things!! :) Glad he is doing ok and that you're able to handle all of this with such ease!

Jess said...

What a daredevil! Glad he is OK but I agree, you have many more ER trips ahead of you! What a trooper :)