Monday, April 27, 2009

Didn't think I would do it, huh?

This is for my husband mostly.  My dad is a huge woodcarver and has carved and made tons of things out of wood.  He has made a couple of totem poles and one of them had Japanese characters on it.  When we moved here, Eric told me that I ought to carve us a Japanese totem pole while he was gone.  I kind of laughed and thought to myself, sure I will!  Well, I knew Eric didn't think I would make us one and I decided to prove him wrong.  So here is the finished product and I think it turned out pretty dang good--so Eric, I did do it!!!  Many thanks to my dad who helped me immensely.  The characters say God, Father, Mother, Children, Love, Peace, Harmony.  It stands a little over 6' tall and is made out a log we found in the backyard.  I have to admit that I really enjoyed this project and if I had more time and the tools I think I really could get into wood carving.  Thanks Dad for all of your help!!


A work in progress

FINISHED PROJECT--YEAH!!

***Also, update on our moving plans, we found out last week that our plans to move to Japan have been postponed a couple of months, so we are actually now moving back to Connecticut and hopefully will be headed to Japan sometime this fall.  I have to admit that I am excited to go back to Connecticut-it is so fun during the summer and I plan to spend lots of time at the beach with the kids and we still have so many great friends there.  I have learned in our short Navy career that  you can never plan on anything the Navy tells you, because it almost always changes--good thing we are flexible!***

7 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

Seriously! I'm so excited to have you move back, even if it is just for a few months. I had a blast hanging out with you last summer and now I'm looking forward to another one! And I can totally relate to being flexible. What other option is there?

Hubba's Thoughts said...

WOW, good for you, very impressive! I don't think I have the patience to do that kind of stuff.. I'm a friend of Eric's by the way.. Just in case you were wondering who I was!! Have a great day!

Lauren said...

Wow, that's amazing! Good work!

Emily said...

Great work! I can't believe you are going back to CT. How fun! Are you going back into housing? I honestly miss military life a little bit. It's very strange to not have access to all the perks that we had in CT. We read last night about the military placing a hold on PCS moves due to funding until fall. At least you get to have a beautiful CT summer while waiting!

Karlee said...

Awesome! I still remember the nativity one.

Annette said...

Since I'm so self-absorbed, I've been trying to figure out how you got all that talent from your mother-in-law. Can it be that some genes transferred upon marriage? You're amazing! (Some people have a hard time slicing apples when they have little kids, and look what you've done!)

Jessica 7 said...

Amazing! I can't believe you carved that pole. It's superb. You're coming back!!!! It'll be awesome to see you. Maybe you can be my VT again, because no one's visited me since you left! Let us know when to expect you. :)